Happy first weekend of summer! Although in Charleston, it's felt like summer for at least a solid month now. I love this time of year. Longer days, beach trips and outdoor happy hours make me smile. Everything seems a bit more relaxed, beauty routine included. Now is the perfect time to streamline your routine, so you can get to all of your summer adventures sooner! It's way too hot for blow dryers, flat irons or too many products that will melt off. Below are a few swaps for your makeup bag to make your life (and everyday look) a little easier for the balmy summer months.
1. Switch foundation to a BB or CC cream. I like to opt for a lightweight BB cream with light to medium coverage. You know by now that I love Benefit Big Easy BB cream. Supergoop CC Cream is another great option. These products are easy to apply with your fingers and give just enough coverage, without feeling too done up. Now is the perfect time to let your natural, dewy skin take the spotlight. And don't forget your sunscreen!
2. Cream blush over powders. A cream blush gives you a gorgeous, natural looking flush and has better staying power than a powder blush. Dab some on the apples of your cheeks with your fingers or a foundation brush and blend out with an angled blush brush. I love How Bout Them Apples from theBalm and pretty much all of the Stila Convertible Colors.
3. Creamy shadows instead of powders. You can get a lot of mileage out of a cream shadow, especially when it's sweltering outside. I love a good lilac, like this NYX Jumbo Stick in lavendar used with a primer, for a pretty pop of color. Or for an easy, but polished everyday look, try a creamy golden taupe,like Makeup Forever Aqua Matic, which won't budge once it's set.
4. Swap your matte lippies for tints or stains. I love the hint of a stain for an easy summer look, like you just ate a red freezer pop. Opt for a tint or light stain to give a wash of color that will stay put. Even more convenient, use a double duty stain for cheeks and lips. I love Benefit BeneTint.
5. Waterproof your mascara and liner. Switch to waterproof mascara for the summer. Getting caught in a pop up summer storm or breaking a sweat while walking from the parking lot to work can cause water based formulas to run or smudge. I hate glancing in a mirror to see that I have a mascara smudge on my eyelid. I love CoverGirl Clump Crusher for a good waterproof mascara that won't break the bank. Same goes with eyeliner. I like switch up my everyday kitten eye in favor of tightlining with a waterproof liner. Go for a waterproof formula to avoid raccoon eyes, like Kat Von D Waterproof Autograph Pencil or Urban Decay 24/7 Liners.
How do you change up your beauty routine for the summer months? I'd love to hear in the comments below!